February 14, 2011

Ferguson tells Rooney and Berbabtov: Go and play like that away from home

Sir Alex Ferguson has told Wayne Rooney he cannot just score at Old Trafford if Manchester United are to win the title this season.

After Rooney's wonder goal secured a 2-1 win in the derby, United manager Ferguson issued a warning to Rooney and his strike partner Dimitar Berbatov.

'What we need to get out of Wayne and Berba is those performances away from home,' said Ferguson. 'They have not been as good as they have been at home. They should be dictating games. If they do, it will make a hell of a difference.'

Berbatov was left out on Saturday, only emerging as a substitute after City had equalised in the second half.

Ferguson added: 'I had to sit Dimitar down. I didn't enjoy it, to be honest. I said, "You'll play your part" and he did. He played a great role.

'I don't think I have seen a better goal at Old Trafford than the one Rooney scored.
'He hit a volley against Newcastle a few years ago with that ferocity, but in terms of execution you will never see better than that.

'I have not seen anything like it. Absolutely stunning, unbelievable.'
City manager Roberto Mancini added: 'Rooney's goal is one of the best I have seen in my life, since I was a player.'